The Reports of Our Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

Dawn breaks like a wave on the rocks and with it, the long silence is ended …

Greetings internet, and welcome to a long, long overdue report on … well, us! Those of you that have been fans of ours for some time now, and have still stuck with us, checking in from time to time, first of all … thank you! Your support and dedication has not fallen on deaf ears and we truly appreciate it.

By now I’m sure you’ve all noticed our prolonged absence and we thought it was high time we explained ourselves. You deserve at least that much. Be prepared, however, as this is likely to be a bit … wordy. So what gives?

Well, several things really. I’ll start by saying, as I hope is evident in our show, I am personally a stickler for quality, which comes in two parts and is therefore, the two-part reason for the problem. The first part for the quality involves my microphone of choice, the Shure SM7B. More specifically, how it connects to my computer.

Yes, I could use a headset microphone (and I did for a brief time when we first got started) or even one of those USB mics that are extremely popular with all types of podcasters. You know, the mics from Blue Microphone, the Snowball or Yeti Pro (hell, Opy uses a Yeti). But no, I like the quality I get from my Shure SM7B. It’s got a built in pop filter and shock mount internal to the rig, it’s used by radio DJ’s around the globe (it’s Robin Quivers’ go to mic) and if it’s good enough to record the entire Thriller album, its good enough for me. But it’s not USB. It needs an audio interface to connect it to the computer.

The TASCAM US-800 sucks, full stop. Probably why they don’t sell it anymore. Without trying to get too technical, it sucks due to poorly written PC drivers and a woeful lack of updates and support. The audio interface causes severe and well documented memory leaks as well as other IRQ issues. So what did that mean for us? Well for the past maybe 10, 20 episodes or so, we couldn’t record for more than an hour at a time without risking my computer crashing. Hard. We record in segments, but we record each segment all at once and if it crashed, we lost the whole thing. Do over, take two. I even built a new rig with 32GB of RAM hoping that would help to no avail. With the show growing in length and certain segments on tournaments or codexes being over an hour long, it was starting to happen a lot.

Needless to say, this was rather annoying and even more than that, wasteful. I felt horrible each time because that mean the other four guys just lost an hour of their lives because of me and it’s not like we’re getting paid to do this. Which brings up the reason it keep going. I got the US-800 for about $100, which is a good price for an audio interface (or so I thought) but my mic was somewhere in the $300~$400 range. I really didn’t want to spend yet another $200 on a replacement AI.

Battle reports! They’re our hook. Our bread and butter. They’re a large part of why we started the podcast in the first place. They’re what make Turn 8 stand out in a sea of other very fine 40k podcasts. And they’re a pain in the ass.

I love them, and I hate them, and they are part two of the quality issue. I’m very proud of what we’ve done with our Battle Reports and the clamoring for more I hear from you, our fans, really lets me, us, know that we’ve got something special here. But you all know, because I’ve said it a lot, they’re a lot of work. Aside from the game, and the writing, which Opy has graciously handled in nearly every episode, they take about an hour to record for 20 minutes of material. Why? We screw up a lot.

We’re not professionals in any way (get out, really!? 🙂 ) so even though the end result may not be Grammy award winning or even pronounced correctly, it still probably took us eight takes just to get that. Don’t believe me? Hit up our anniversary specials. That’s just a sample of all the bloopers and outtakes from each show. So, whatever, one hour on a Sunday night or something isn’t that big a deal and we usually like doing it but it’s the aftermath that’s the problem.

One hour of recorded Battle Report takes me about eight to ten hours to edit and it’s because of my need for quality. I cut and recut for pacing, cut out all the inhales, exhales, clicks of the tongue, silence the dead time, run noise cancelation on the rest, run compression on everything and sometimes effects in addition to choosing and inserting about twenty minutes of music from our collection of royalty free tracks and trying my best to get that to line up in some meaningful way (if I can).

Couple that with some editing on the rest of the segments, putting it all together, rendering the mp3, writing up a little blurb and posting the episode with an image I either find or create, it probably takes anywhere between sixteen and twenty hours per episode. It sometimes feels like having a part-time job that you don’t get paid for, and after losing two segments from the recording of episode 43 and half of the recording of the Battle Report screwing up in a heretofore never-been-seen way, I cracked. I lost the love for the show and I just couldn’t bring myself to finish it. Turn 8 was dead.

Of course I didn’t know it at first. I kept putting off editing when I had the time. Opy would ask when I was going to get it up or if we were going to try re-record segments and I just say I don’t know about that yet. Time passed and I was about to go on vacation to England for the first time back in March. As we were hanging out at our local game store Opy said something to the likes of, “are we done the podcast then?” I took some time to think about it and finally said, yes.

It was heavy for me but right then the burden was gone and I felt … good. Relieved. I went on vacation, had an epic time and we started to move on. All that was left was to let people know.

I told my wife. “What, why!?” She doesn’t even listen to the show, what the hell, why did she care? We told Bill. Surprise. I felt bad about that because the three of us started this thing and only one of us was ending it. That wasn’t how I wanted things to be. We told some people at the store and they were disappointed but by now it had settled for me so just some simple apologies and we moved on.

Jeez Rich, you sure do complain a lot. I know, right!? Anyway, as if the title of this article hadn’t given it away, things actually didn’t end there. GASP! Feigned shock. Impatient staring …

Anywho … as I kept trying to think of a way to break the news to all of you out there in the internet, the influx of requests for the next episode poured in. In addition to Facebook, people at the store continued to encourage us to keep going and make more episodes. And I had to admit, I missed it. But it just couldn’t continue, not like it was. So what to do, what to do? Well, changes had to be made. If we were going to do this we’d have to do it in a way that wasn’t going to burn me out again (at least not right away 😉 ).

It’s settled then, the show must go on! And indeed it shall good fans and folk of the internet so here’s the scoop. I’m rocking a new Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Audio Interface and after extensive testing, all seems to be going rather well. No more system crashes!! But what about the second problem, Battle Reports? Well that’s going to change too I’m afraid but it’s not all bad.

In an effort to reduce the workload we’re going to move to an every-other-episode Battle Report schedule. That means episode 44 (43 was lost to the warp, but not forgotten) will not have a battle report, however, episode 45 will and so on. On the positive side of that, since every other episode will take a lot less time to produce, we’re going to try to move to an every two week schedule for the podcast! That means you guys get a new show every two weeks (instead of every 3 or 4 … or 5) and every 4 weeks a new Battle Report. We’re hoping this will be a good compromise and allow us to keep doing the show.

I simply cannot thank you all enough for the support and dedication you’ve shown to us, it’s been amazing and we’re very lucky for it. I would also like to thank Matt, Jesse, Nick, Parsons, Kevin, TJ, Rob, Matt D. and many others from Team Stomping Grounds for encouraging us to get back in the studio. Hell, part of the reason for my desire to continue came from watching Team SG’s live Twitch streams. Of course I couldn’t help but poke my head in behind the scenes and give some small advice here and there too ;). They’ve even asked us to be on the show from time to time and damnit I think we will! So prepare for more episodes, videos and live streams featuring Turn 8! In fact, we’re recording our next episode right now! Right as this post was made! So please stay tuned because we’re BACK BABY!!


  1. #1 by Gina on April 10, 2014 - 10:44 pm

    Hells yeah!!!!!!

  2. #2 by Hagen on April 11, 2014 - 12:20 am

    Thanks so much for coming back guys, I missed your show, its always been in my top 5 favorite 40k Podcasts.

    • #3 by BasetheRuin on April 20, 2014 - 4:41 pm


  3. #4 by Tuatara on April 11, 2014 - 12:23 pm

    Glad to hear you’ll be back. The work you all put into it really is very much appreciated.

Comments are closed.